Wine & Brandy industry information
The Wine Industry Ethical Trade Association (WIETA) is a multi-stakeholder, non-profit voluntary organisation which actively promotes ethical trade in the wine industry value chain through training, technical assessment and audits to assess members' compliance with its code of good practice.
Stakeholders include producers, retailers, trade unions, non-governmental organisations and the government.
WIETA's mandate is to improve the working conditions of workers in the wine value chain by
- formulating and adopting a code of good practice governing labour and health and safety standards for those involved in primary growing and secondary production operations;
- promoting the adoption of and adherence to the code of good practice among all producers and growers;
- educating producers and workers on the provisions of the code;
- appointing independent social auditors to ensure that members of the association observe and implement the code of good practice; and
- determining ways of encouraging implementation of and compliance with the code, and deciding what measures to take in the case of non-compliance with the code.